Thursday, December 10, 2009

Compromise

I think back on it now on how concerned I was that my child not have any pesticides enter through my bloodstream. Oh, the good 'ol days. That was back pre-recession. Now I do my best, but can now only afford to buy organic so much. At first I felt horribly guilty, that I was feeding her poison and was contributing to farmland soil degradation, etc. But as someone I respect so much told me, "aim to do things at the standards you want 80% of the time- any higher than that will drive you to insanity." So, that said, as novel as organic American cheese is, we're now settling for regular cheddar. And as a past acupuncturist argued: "conventional cheddar is better than organic American- one is milk-based, the other is oil-based." All in all, this whole motherhood thing has taught me a lot about making compromises: that 1.) sometimes my high standards have to be shelved so our family can actually eat and 2.) it's okay be choosy about the compromises I am willing to make so that I can still maintain integrity but also have some fun in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I love learning from others and hearing new views, please observe my right to express my opinions without any hatred or overly negative responses (I'm a sensitive Mommy). I work best with constructive criticism and loving remarks. :)